§760.03 FS | COMMISSION ON HUMAN RELATIONS; STAFF
(1) There is hereby created the Florida Commission on Human Relations, comprised of 12 members appointed by the Governor, subject to confirmation by the Senate. The commission shall select one of its members to serve as chairperson for terms of 2 years.
(2) The members of the commission must be broadly representative of various racial, religious, ethnic, social, economic, political, and professional groups within the state; and at least one member of the commission must be 60 years of age or older.
(3) Commissioners shall be appointed for terms of 4 years. A member chosen to fill a vacancy otherwise than by expiration of term shall be appointed for the unexpired term of the member whom such appointee is to succeed. A member of the commission shall be eligible for reappointment. A vacancy in the commission shall not impair the right of the remaining members to exercise the powers of the commission.
(4) The Governor may suspend a member of the commission only for cause, subject to removal or reinstatement by the Senate.
(5) Six members shall constitute a quorum for the conduct of business; however, the commission may establish panels of not less than three of its members to exercise its powers under the Florida Civil Rights Act of 1992, subject to such procedures and limitations as the commission may provide by rule. Notwithstanding this subsection, three appointed members serving on panels shall constitute a quorum for the conduct of official business of the panel.
(6) Each commissioner shall be compensated at the rate of $50 per day for each day of actual attendance to commission duties and shall be entitled to receive per diem and travel expenses as provided by
(7) The commission shall appoint, and may remove, an executive director who, with the consent of the commission, may employ a deputy, attorneys, investigators, clerks, and such other personnel as may be necessary adequately to perform the functions of the commission, within budgetary limitations.
History.—s. 3, ch. 69-287; s. 1, ch. 70-438; s. 3, ch. 77-341; s. 1, ch. 80-148; s. 27, ch. 87-172; s. 3, ch. 92-177; s. 4, ch. 92-282; s. 1, ch. 2020-153.
Note.—Former ss. 13.221, 23.163.