60Y-2.003 FAC | GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE COMMISSION
(1) The Commission is comprised of 12 members appointed by the Governor, subject to confirmation by the Senate.
(2) Commissioners are appointed to staggered terms of 4 years, except for appointments described in subsection (3).
(3) A Commissioner appointed to fill a vacancy other than by expiration of a term is appointed for the unexpired term of the member whom such appointee is to succeed.
(4) A Commissioner is eligible for reappointment.
(5) In every odd-numbered year, the Commission shall hold an organizational meeting to elect from its membership a Chairperson and a Vice-chairperson. The biennial organizational meeting shall be held as soon as practical after the new Commissioners for that year have been appointed.
(6) The Chairperson of the Commission serves for a term of 2 years and has the following duties:
(a) Call Commission meetings and set the agenda for same;
(b) Preside at Commission meetings;
(c) Appoint one or more Panels of not less than 3 Commissioners to exercise, as provided in Chapters
60Y-4 and 60Y-5, F.A.C., Commission powers under Section
(d) Appoint and define the role of such committees as are necessary or expedient to advise the Commission or its Executive Director;
(e) Perform such other functions as the Commission may assign by rule or order.
(7) In the event the office of the Chairperson becomes vacant, the Vice-chairperson shall temporarily assume all responsibilities and perform all duties of the Chairperson until such time as an election for filling the office of Chairperson can be held. Such election shall be held within ninety (90) days from the date that the Chairperson’s vacancy occurs. In the event that there is no Vice-chairperson serving at the time of the Chairperson’s vacancy, the Commissioner whose current term has been in effect for the longest period of time shall temporarily serve as Chairperson until elections for filling both the office of Chairperson and Vice-chairperson can be held, as long as such elections are held within ninety (90) days from the date the Chairperson’s vacancy occurs.
(8) The Vice-chairperson serves for a term of 2 years, the term to run concurrently with that of the Chairperson. The Vice-chairperson performs the duties of the Chairperson in the Chairperson’s absence and performs such other duties as the Chairperson may assign.
(9) If a vacancy occurs in the office of the Chairperson, the Vice-chairperson shall temporarily assume all responsibilities and perform all duties of the Chairperson until such time as an election can be held, as detailed in subsection 60Y-2.003(7), F.A.C. If a vacancy occurs in the office of the Vice-chairperson, the Commission will select another member to fill the unexpired term of the Vice-chairperson.
(10) A special meeting of the Commission shall be called by the Chairperson, or by the Executive Director upon the written request of not fewer than 5 Commissioners.
(11) Seven members shall constitute a quorum for the conduct of Commission business.
(12) A majority of the members of a Panel shall constitute a quorum for the conduct of business assigned to a Panel.
(13) In the presence of a quorum, Commission or Panel business shall be conducted by majority vote.
Rulemaking Authority 760.06(12) FS. Law Implemented 760.03 FS. History–New 11-2-78, Formerly 22T-6.03, 22T-6.003, Amended 12-31-03, 1-8-15.